Story on this sour cream chocolate cake recipe:
Karolina had a tennis match against another club and I needed to bake a cake. I was running short on time, so I grabbed this sour cream chocolate cake recipe and mixed up the batter while the oven was preheating.
The delicious chocolate butter cake did not disappoint and it came out great. I still had some time, so I quickly made the filling, as I needed to get rid of some of my frozen red currants. I defrosted them in the microwave, and the filling was ready in a matter of few minutes. What took longer was the cooling off process.
I don’t want to brag, but everybody loved the chocolate cake with fruit filling. Other parents have complimented on how moist it was, that it wasn't heavy, and that the sour filling was really a nice touch.
I think that a fruit filling for a chocolate cake is a nice change to the usual chocolate crème found in most chocolate cakes. If you don’t have red currants, then you can use cranberry jelly or raspberries and whipped cream. Whatever fruit filling you choose, you will not be disappointed.
I hope to see you again, and if you like my site, please share it on Facebook with your friends. You can also leave a comment at the bottom of this page, and don’t forget to look at my most recent recipe.
Thanks for visiting,
For the chocolate cake:
For the berry filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F – 175°C
2. Grease and line the pan with parchment paper. Grease again and flour.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the yolks, sour cream, vanilla, and cocoa.
4. In your mixing bowl, mix on low speed the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add the butter and half of the sour cream-chocolate mixture. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. This process develops that cake’s structure. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
6. Add the rest of the chocolate mixture and mix on high speed for 1 minute. Don’t forget to scrape the bowl sometimes.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 45 minutes. Test the cake for doneness with a cake tester in couple of places. Cool off the cake for 10 minutes in the pan. Carefully remove it from the pan and invert on a wire rack to cool it off completely.
Tip: You can soften the butter in the microwave.
Prepare the fruit filling for chocolate cake:
1. Strain the berries and save the juice.
2. In a small bowl or a cup add ¼ cup of water and 1 tablespoon of potato starch an mix it with a small whisk or a spoon.
3. Bring the juice to boil and add the water with the potato starch. Add the fruits and sugar and bring the filling to boil. Make sure it is thick enough and take it off the heat. Cool it off before using it.
4. If you don’t have any berries, then just use a sour jelly like cranberries or lingonberries.
Set up the chocolate cake:
1. Cut the cake in two rounds using a serrated knife or a cake cutter. Place one round on a cake plate and surround it with a cake ring.
2. Smear the filling and cover with the second round.
3. Place it in the fridge for the filling to set completely. Once cooled off, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy.
I hope that you liked this sour cream chocolate cake recipe. Don't forget to comment below!
Try these chocolate cake recipes as well!
Return from Sour Cream Chocolate Cake Recipe to Just Chocolate Cakes homepage.
NEW Chocolate Cakes
My All Time Favourite Chocolate Cakes:
Nov 12, 14 06:59 AM
Amazing cassis chocolate cake roll with mouthwatering cassis berry filling and light chocolate icing
Nov 07, 14 03:17 PM
Fast and easy chocolate truffle cake recipe
Oct 16, 14 02:55 PM
This death by chocolate cake is almost a baked mousse, delicious, and makes the most perfect dessert after a good meal. Try it for yourself.