I love this raspberry chocolate cake roll, and I make this recipe whenever I have freshly picked raspberries.
We live in Germany, so we enjoy this light chocolate raspberry roll in late June or July, whenever raspberries are ripe. I take my kids and we go onto the nearby field and bring home a bowl full of delicious berries.
If you don’t have fresh berries, you could also use raspberry jam and spread it onto the baked cake, then spread the whipped cream, and then roll the cake. You can also use any other berries you have available, like currants, strawberries, or even cherries.
This flourless chocolate cake recipe comes from the Cake Bible by Rose Beranbaum. The raspberry filling is my own recipe, and I hope that you will give it a try. I can really recommend this chocolate cake roll recipe and hope that you will like it as much as I do. See for yourself how light and amazing it is!
For the chocolate roll:
For the cream filling:
Prepare the cake roll:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F – 175°C
2. Butter the baking pan then line with parchment paper, then butter again and flour.
3. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave, set on high.
4. Beat the ¼ cup of sugar with egg yolks for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
5. Add the chocolate to the egg yolks and beat until incorporated. Don’t forget to scrape the sides.
6. In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy and add the cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form then add the two tablespoon of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly.
7. Using a balloon whisk, fold ¼ of the whites to the chocolate-egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining whites, making sure that the batter is thoroughly mixed.
8. Spread evenly the batter onto the prepared pan and bake for 16 minutes.
9. Wet a clean dish towel and wring it out well.
10. Once the cake has baked, take it out from the oven but leave it in the pan. Dust it with cocoa powder and cover with the prepared dish towel. Allow the cake to cool completely before filling it and rolling it.
Tip: Once the egg whites are beaten, it is important to work quickly because otherwise the small air bubbles will collapse and the cake will not rise.
Prepare the raspberry filling:
1. Whip the cream with sugar and the “Whip It” until stiff peaks form.
2. Add the raspberries and gently fold them in.
Set up the cake:
Tip: It is important to let the cake cool down completely, otherwise the filling will run.
1. Once it has cooled off, grab the parchment paper and slide the cake from the cake pan onto a flat surface. Spread the filling and using the parchment paper for support, roll the cake, peeling it away as you go. The edges won’t be perfect; I always cut them off and eat them immediately.
Transfer the cake onto your serving plate using
two long pancake turners or spatulas.
Refrigerate for 1 hour, dust with powdered sugar, cut, serve, and relish this delicious raspberry chocolate cake roll!
Please leave a comment below, I am always happy to get feedback from my visitors!
See if these cakes are of any interest to you...
Return from Chocolate Roll Cake to Just Chocolate Cakes homepage.
NEW Chocolate Cakes
My All Time Favourite Chocolate Cakes:
Nov 12, 14 06:59 AM
Amazing cassis chocolate cake roll with mouthwatering cassis berry filling and light chocolate icing
Nov 07, 14 03:17 PM
Fast and easy chocolate truffle cake recipe
Oct 16, 14 02:55 PM
This death by chocolate cake is almost a baked mousse, delicious, and makes the most perfect dessert after a good meal. Try it for yourself.