If you don’t know what a chocolate cherry dump cake is you are missing something delicious. A dump cake comes from the idea of dumping every ingredient directly into a baking dish.
It is a quick and easy cake recipe that makes a great dessert. My nephew once came over for dinner and he ate 6 pieces in one sitting. He had to like it and so will YOU.
Here is my chocolate cherry dump cake recipe together with a homemade cherry filling recipe. If you try it out, could you like me on Facebook or even better, can you leave a comment, I love those!
If you make your cherry pie filling from scratch, then this recipe will take maybe 30 minutes.
Tip: If you don’t have cherry pie filling
you can make it yourself like I did. Here is the recipe for homemade cherry pie filling:
1. I used canned sweetened cherries – 2 cans each 680g and 6 tablespoons of corn starch dissolved in ¼ cup of water.
2. If you don’t have canned sweetened cherries, you can use pitted de-frosted cherries, about 2lb – 910 g. If you do, you will need ¾ cup of sugar and ½ plus ¼ cup of water and 4 tablespoon of corn starch (32g).
Just place your cherries, either with the juice
from the can, or with water and sugar in a pot.
Set the heat on high and bring to boil.
Once it boils, add the starch mixed with water and mix until very
thick. Cool off. It should look like the picture below.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F – 175°C
2. Place the butter into the freezer.
2. Take out your cake pan and spread the cherry pie filling, homemade or from a can.
3. Distribute evenly the chocolate cake mix of your choice.
4. Take the butter from the freezer and grate the butter using a food grater (amazon). If you want to be extra quick then spread even slices of butter on top of the cake mix.
5. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and sugar.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes until the top turns crusty and the cherries bubble through the sides of the cake.
Now, depending on the cake mix you used and the
amount of cherries, your cake might be very soft under the crunchy top. That is normal. You can serve it in a nice bowl with vanilla
ice cream. Here is my cake straight out of the oven. It was still bubbly at the edges.
Tip: You can skip the pecans and the extra sugar. The pecans add some crunch and the sugar makes the top extra crispy.
Have fun making your own creations with this basic chocolate dump cake recipe. If you come up with something great, come back, leave a comment, and share.
You might also like these chocolate cake recipes:
Return from Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake to Just Chocolate Cakes homepage
NEW Chocolate Cakes
My All Time Favourite Chocolate Cakes:
Nov 12, 14 06:59 AM
Amazing cassis chocolate cake roll with mouthwatering cassis berry filling and light chocolate icing
Nov 07, 14 03:17 PM
Fast and easy chocolate truffle cake recipe
Oct 16, 14 02:55 PM
This death by chocolate cake is almost a baked mousse, delicious, and makes the most perfect dessert after a good meal. Try it for yourself.