My grandma made this chocolate walnut cake recipe every time we came to visit. She had a garden and there she had a walnut tree. As my grandma was quite old, so was the tree. Every year she had plenty of walnuts and she needed to use them. So we got a chocolate walnut cake in every variation possible.
She came up with a great way of making this chocolate walnut cake moist and I will tell you the secret. It is in the syrup. She made the syrup kids-friendly as it doesn’t contain any alcohol. When you spoon the syrup onto the cake, make sure to really use all of it. The cake will soak it all up.
This chocolate walnut cake recipe is a type of a sponge cake with just a little flour and no butter. The bulk of the flour is substituted with grounded walnuts and almonds. Also, the cake has a strong orange taste, so if you would like to reduce it, go easy on the zest.
What do you think of this walnut cake recipe? Leave a comment, maybe together we could came up with a new, better chocolate walnut cake recipe.
Ingredients for the cake:
Ingredients for the syrup:
Tip: You can substitute the zest with candied orange peel. I used 2 tablespoons of finely chopped homemade candied orange peel.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
2. Butter and flour the pan.
3. Grind 1 ¼ cups of walnuts (130 g) and the almonds in a small food processor or in a blender. I have a mechanical grinder which works great.
4. Beat with an electric mixer the brandy, egg yolks, orange zest, and juice until smooth and creamy.
5. Beat the egg whites until firm.
6. Whisk the sugar, cacao, cinnamon, flour, baking powder, salt, and the grinded nuts in a large bowl.
7. Add the beaten egg yolk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed for a minute. Carefully fold in the egg whites. I use the balloon attachment to mix in the egg whites; you can use a spatula if you like.
8. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for 40 minutes. Once the sides of the cake spring back from the sides of the pan, and 40 minutes are over, test the cake for doneness. Insert a skewer into the center and if it comes out clean, the cake is done, if not, return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
While the cake is baking:
1. Make a cup of coffee or tea and enjoy it.
2. Start making the syrup by placing all ingredients in a saucepan and cook it over medium heat. Make sure to stir it until the sugar dissolves. Bring it to boil, take it off the heat, cool it off to room temperature, drink more coffee or tea and relax.
3. Once the syrup has cooled off completely, drain it.
4. One more thing to do: chop the remaining walnuts into small pieces.
Prepare the cake:
1. Prick the hot cake with a skewer all over, and then spoon all of the syrup over the cake. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and you have got yourself a really nice chocolate walnut cake – just like grandma made it!
You might also enjoy these tasty chocolate cake recipes:
Return from Chocolate Walnut Cake to Chocolate Cake with Nuts Page
NEW Chocolate Cakes
My All Time Favourite Chocolate Cakes:
Nov 12, 14 06:59 AM
Amazing cassis chocolate cake roll with mouthwatering cassis berry filling and light chocolate icing
Nov 07, 14 03:17 PM
Fast and easy chocolate truffle cake recipe
Oct 16, 14 02:55 PM
This death by chocolate cake is almost a baked mousse, delicious, and makes the most perfect dessert after a good meal. Try it for yourself.