Why is the German chocolate pound cake a perfect party cake? Few reasons:
1. It tastes good.
2. It keeps well, doesn’t need a frosting and therefore doesn’t need to be refrigerated, saving space for beer or hamburgers.
3. It is relatively quickly made, doesn’t need a cream filling or chocolate icing, therefore allowing you to prepare awesome main dish.
4. Can be prepared up to two days in advance, again allowing you time for more important things like meat, drinks, or decoration.
My son had an overnight party at his school and the parents were supposed to provide some food. I made this German chocolate pound cake with nuts and on the eve of the party, I delivered my son as well as the cake. The party was on Friday, I made that cake on Wednesday, wrapped it in clear foil and on Friday, I cut it into pieces, ate one and can say with clear conscience that it was moist and very tasty.
I have to say that this German chocolate bundt cake recipe is an easy and quick alternative to the original German chocolate cake. Additionally, it is not as heavy and is a perfect party snack. I hope that you will enjoy it, if you do, come back for more great homemade chocolate cake recipes. If you want to, leave a comment at the bottom of this page.
Tip: If you don’t have cake flour, use 260g regular flour (all-purpose) and 40g of corn or potato starch.
The flour tossed with the pecans will prevent the nuts from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°f – 175°C.
2. Grease and flour a 10 inch (25cm) tube pan
3. Chop the pecans and toss with 1 tablespoon of flour.
4. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. I melted the chocolate in the microwave (set on 800W) for 1 minute, and then, using the residual heat, stirred it to melt completely.
5. Beat the butter until creamy, add the sugar, and beat well.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, beat after each addition, scrape the bowl, and add the melted chocolate and vanilla. Beat until blended.
7. Whick the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Add it to the butter-chocolate mixture alternating with milk. Beat until blended and add the pecans, mix shortly, and pour into the prepared pan.
8. Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in couple of places comes out clean. I like to test in few places because I once tested it only in one spot, it came out clean, but the cake wasn’t done. Had I tested in few spots I would have caught it and baked for 5 minutes more.
9. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Sprinkle it with powdered sugar, cut, and serve.
If you liked this chocolate cake recipe try these ones as well!
Return from German chocolate pound cake to Just Chocolate Cakes homepage.
NEW Chocolate Cakes
My All Time Favourite Chocolate Cakes:
Nov 12, 14 06:59 AM
Amazing cassis chocolate cake roll with mouthwatering cassis berry filling and light chocolate icing
Nov 07, 14 03:17 PM
Fast and easy chocolate truffle cake recipe
Oct 16, 14 02:55 PM
This death by chocolate cake is almost a baked mousse, delicious, and makes the most perfect dessert after a good meal. Try it for yourself.